Sunday 6 December 2009

The naughty step

I'm feeling a little peripheral at the moment. You see, I have had several messages from Twitter buddies telling me that I'm being filtered out of searches, and I also notice that my hashtags don't show up in Twitter streams. This is most disconcerting. I tweet at conferences and my tweets get swallowed up in the miasma of the twittersphere as if they never twittered in the first place. It's as if I don't exist on Twitter at all. I'm a Twoutcast. It's as though the head coach has told me to sit the game out on the bench. Twubstituted for unsportsmanlike behaviour. Sidelined, that's what I am.

I guess I have inadvertently breached one of Twitter's many convoluted rules. You know, the ones they don't bend over backwards to explain to you in too much detail. I don't know what wrong I have done, but it must have been a heinous crime, and being punished I am (Gee thanks Yoda). Ah well, we shall wait and see. Kirsteen MacDonald (@k_macd) came to my rescue, recommending some steps to rectify the problem. So I followed her instructions, and sent out a help call to Twitter on Friday, and I am now completely in their hands. Whether I am restored to full priviledges is entirely up to Sir's whims, so until then I shall sit scowling on the naughty step.

I wonder has anyone else found themselves in a similar predicament? Did you get the problem resolved? What were the issues involved. Or are you still sitting on the naughty step too? I think we should be told.

Update:
I am delighted to report that as of the evening of Sunday 6th December, I have been able to participate again in the hashtag streams. This was just in time to take part remotely in #ascilite09 - I feel a part of the Twitter family once again! I'm also as of Monday night reinstated onto the 'Find People' Twitter search. I'm no longer the invisible man! Thanks Twitter.

Related posts (and solutions):

Image source

Creative Commons License
The naughty step by Steve Wheeler is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at steve-wheeler.blogspot.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment