Thursday 1 October 2009

Web 2.0 and the defence of the realm

I enjoyed an excellent day out over at HMS Raleigh yesterday where I gave the opening keynote speech for the Tri-service DMLS (Defence Maritime Logistics School) Advanced Learning Technologies Symposium. I spoke on the subject of 'Learning 2.0 in a Military Context' and my slide show is available here.

All of the British armed forces were represented, and at one point I felt as though I was in some war movie giving a briefing before some secret mission, there were so many uniforms in front of me - "we attack at dawn!" Some had scrambled egg all over their hats and fruit salad on their shirts. These weren't decorations or medals - they were just messy eaters.

Other speakers at the event included our very own James Clay (Gloucestershire College) who addressed the issues of using mobile technologies for learning, and Professor Bob Stone (University of Birmingham) who spoke on serious games. Bob showed an impressive array of 3D virtual games and simulations and spoke on the effects of immersive technologies. He wasn't very keen on cumbersome headsets and other peripherals though, and demonstrated that learners could become immersed in gaming through simple screen, joystick and mouse technologies. His demonstration of Subsafe - a 3D simulation of a Trafalgar class nuclear submarine was stunning. I could tell you about it but then I'd have to kill you.

My own discussion with those present centred upon the tension between the chaos and democracy of Web 2.0 and the structure and discipline required in defence training. There was an interesting panel session also at the end of the day, where we talked about how trainers could convince their managers to adopt and implement new and emerging technologies within highly traditional training environments. The evening concluded with a splendid dinner in the Officer's mess - happy days. My thanks to Lt Stefan Gershater and the HMS Raleigh service personnel for organising such a good event and for inviting me to participate.

Image source

No comments:

Post a Comment