Thursday 8 October 2009

Hand holding

As you will have seen from my previous posts, I spent 3 days in London this week, attending the HandHeld Learning Conference. I had some money in my research budget so I decided to avoid the numb bum syndrome this year, and fly up from Plymouth to London. I arrived at London City Airport at around 0930 where we landed in the rain. The Dockyards Light Railway took me to Bank and having looked at the map, I decided to walk the rest of the way to Chiswell Street. I wish I hadn't. No sooner had I emerged from the underground and turned a corner than a fine member of the London Transport drove by in his double decker bus and swamped me by driving through a puddle. It was my Bridget Jones moment, and for a second, I imagined myself wearing a white dress (Steady on now - Ed). I jest of course - I don't cross dress. I can't even cross the road. No, seriously, I was furious and called the bus driver a very rude name. He didn't hear me. Nobody else took any notice either. People walked by quickly with their heads bowed against the weather. Well, I told myself, this is London. And so I dragged myself onwards....

The walk up Moorgate, dodging the rain and the puddles and the maniac bus drivers, and on into City Road seemed interminable. At Moorgate tube station I did happen across a great fast food counter that served some of the largest vegetable samosas I have ever encountered (and at £1 each, superb value). Breakfast done, and wiping the crumbs from my face I finally wended my weary way, slightly damp and steaming, into the Handheld Learning venue - the Brewery. The gentleman in the bowler hat and top coat who meets and greets you outside in the cobbled courtyard is an excellent bloke - he is one of the best features of the Handheld Learning Conference - always cheerful and always willing to assist.

Inside, many people were already milling around in reception, where I was presented with a bag with my programme and a theme park style wrist band to wear. Wot no name badges? Nope. You are expected to introduce yourselves properly.

And introduce ourselves we did. It was great to meet up with so many Twitter people (Tweeple) whom I have got to know over the last year or so, and have enjoyed conversing with. This list is not exhaustive, but it gives you an idea, as I bumped into Simon Finch, Michelle Gallen, Drew Buddie, Ollie Bray, Leon Cych and Dughall McCormick - all of whom you should follow immediately, because they are jolly decent blokes (and I include Michelle in the blokedom of blogging). It was also good to mix it up again with Dave Sugden, Lilian Soon, Stuart Smith and the ever-present James Clay, all of whom put on a great show for the fringe events - HHECKL. I also got to speak to Donald Clark, James Paul Gee, David Cavallo and Zenna Atkins, all of whom were featured speakers at the event.

The talks I attended at HHL were generally very well presented (unlike this blog - Ed). I make a special mention to John Traxler here, whose talk on the role of student owned devices was excellent. The food was sophisticated although a long time coming, the drinks were overpriced, the entertainment from the band at the awards ceremony was excellent, and the wifi service superb. Not bad at all really.

Getting back to London City Airport through the rush hour traffic, and in the pouring rain (which never seemed to cease during my 3 days in London) proved to be a bit of a nightmare, but I wasn't going to risk the long walk back down to Bank and another Bridget Jones moment. My bowler hatted friend assisted, with umbrella in hand, risking life and limb to plunge himself into the fast moving traffic, hailing me a taxi. My taxi driver then did a stirling job veering in and out of the back-up traffic, to make sure I didn't miss my flight. Of course, I rewarded him appropriately.

So here's to next year's event - if it's anything like HHL2009, we are in for another treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment