Tuesday 21 December 2010

Web 3.0 and onwards

Continuing my retrospective of the year, one of the surprising highlights for me was the aftermath of a presentation I gave at a school in Exeter, South West England, in July. I was invited by Vitalmeet to present my latest views on the future of the web in education, so I chose to talk about 'Web 3.0 - the way forward?' When I arrived, the room wasn't that ideal, and the projector was on its last legs. Only 15 people turned up, and that included the organisers. Not particularly auspicous. I gave my presentation, and no-one wished to asked any questions afterwards. I made for the door... then someone asked me if they could have my slides. I promised I would post them up on my Slideshare site so they could gain access.

To say I was amazed at the response is an understatement. My Web 3.0 slideshow received 8,000 views during its first week. Within the month, the count had risen to over 15,000 views - my original audience had multiplied a thousand times. Even more valuable for me, many people commented and shared their ideas to me, which led to to write further blog posts, and publish a second, related post entitled Web x.0 and beyond. It seemed that these ideas had resonated in the blogosphere. Tracking back I could see that many people had discovered the presentation and had deemed it worthy enough to embed within their own websites and blogs, and that many more had commented on Twitter and elsewhere. It had gone viral. This for me was just more proof that the social web is extremely powerful and tools such as Twitter, blogs and resource sharing sites are very effective event amplification tools. Here it is above, one more time, for anyone who missed it.


Creative Commons Licence
Web 3.0 and onwards by Steve Wheeler is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment