Sunday 13 June 2010

Collaborative and cooperative learning

I enjoyed presenting my workshop entitled 'Collaborative and Co-operative Learning: The How and the Why' at Olympia 2 in London on Tuesday. We stared a little earlier than scheduled, which was a relief to me, as I had a cab booked to dash me across London and out to Gatwick Airport for my flight to Valencia. I even had some time to talk to delegates as I was making my way from the workshop room to the lift. Here are the slides that accompanied the workshop. Some are repurposed from other slideshows, but I hope that none the less they will be of some use to a few people who read this blog.


My workshop was an invited session, and constructed with help from Don H. Taylor, the chair of the Learning Skills Group. My main mission was to spend 70 minutes getting the 85 or so delegates who opted for my workshop to think about competition, collaboration and co-operation and how each might contribute to the motivation of learners in predominantly corporate based training environments. I used the analogy of the London Marathon and showed several pictures representing each concept. In essence, I feel that collaboration is more about inter-dependency than co-operation, but that both forms of learning involve people working together to reach a common goal. There was some discussion around this theme, and then we moved on to examine Web 2.0 tools and participatory media in training. We tocuhed briefly on problem based learning and creativity, and my closing statement was - think outside the box!

Creative Commons License
Collaborative and Co-operative Learning by Steve Wheeler is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-Share Alike 3.0 International License.
Based on a work at steve-wheeler.blogspot.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment