Friday 21 August 2009

Daydreamers

As I was watching the Ashes test match at the Oval today, I noticed a sign on the wall behind the England team balcony: It was a quote from T E Lawrence:

Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible.

Later someone sent me the link to this TED Talk video of Pattie Maes (a research professor at MIT) talking about her new Sixth Sense Multi-gesturing device, which uses a camera, mirror and projector to enhance the wearer's senses. She and her team are visionaries in the truest sense of the dreamers Lawrence writes about. Their innovation I believe, will be far reaching, and will bring us one step closer to wearable, pervasive computing. The video is truly astounding and will inspire you. I highly recommend it.

Image source

No comments:

Post a Comment