Monday 9 June 2008

The silos start to tumble....

There will be a special blog for the EDEN conference this week in Lisbon, and I will be contributing toward the content. I'm actually quite looking forward to the conference this year, as it promises to be memorable for all the right reasons. The city itself is new to me - I have never visited Portugal, and have heard a lot of good things about Lisbon. The conference themes are also appetising, with e-portfolios, open libraries, cultural contexts for e-learning, digital literacy and e-inclusion all making an appearance. The one that really gets my attention though is entitled 'breaking down the sectoral silos'. I have visions of midnight raids on unsuspecting farms and torrents of grain falling down from monstrously huge (and protected) storage areas. The question for consideration is 'what impact has Web 2.0 had on institutionalised learning and training'. Well ... there's the death of the Learning Management System to start with. It's the end of the walled garden folks. The impact of Web 2.0 has just begun and SHIFT HAPPENS. In the words of my teenage kids... It's MASSIVE man!! (you have to point your fingers in all directions as you say this, for adolescent emphasis I'm told).

By far the best part of the event for me at least, will be to attend the opening reception to pick up my fellowship award from EDEN in recognition of my contribution to e-learning in Europe. So I would just like to thank my wife, my three children, my hamster, the vicar of our local church, our local pub 'The Pig and Piston', the ceiling, the walls, the.... etc....etc...

No comments:

Post a Comment