Friday 30 May 2008

Who you calling an idiom?

Arrived back home safely (and on time) after a week teaching in the Czech Republic. I have been teaching bright young things from Germany, the Czech Republic and Poland, and we have been doing fun things like role play, lively debates and the study of English idioms... The foreign language counterparts to 'beating around the bush' and 'raining cats and dogs' are outrageous, believe me. I also set them up with a group blog, and there are some interesting posts on there.

I'm already a little tired, and I have 3 more trips to make in the next 3 weeks. I am speaking at Edumedia in Salzburg on Tuesday and then the following week it is EDEN in Lisbon, and then a keynote presentation for the Virtual University Conference in Warsaw on June 19th. It could have been a lot worse than it was. We were stuck in heavy traffic outside Prague for what seemed an eternity, and I just managed to catch my flight back to the UK by the skin of my teeth (an unsavoury idiom for which even my clever German, Czech and Polish students might need substantial explanation). Sitting in the back seat of my chauffer driven car (yes, you heard right), I was beginning to make plans to find a hotel in Prague for the night and then take the train down to Salzburg the next day. That might have been a better option, as I now need to get from Plymouth to Gatwick Airport on Sunday morning to check in at 0900...

I'm trying to think of an appropriate idiom to describe my plight, but unfortunately I'm three sheets to the wind already...

No comments:

Post a Comment