Friday 16 February 2007

Wikis are fragile, handle with prayer

At the risk of being tagged a religious nutter, I'm a great believer in prayer... it changes things - see my personal web page. And students sometimes get themselves into a lather when someone changes something they have posted to a wiki page. But honestly, they don't have a prayer, because once the 'send' button has been pressed, the idea is no longer just 'theirs'. Now it belongs to the community members (see something wiki this way comes) who can have their wickied way with it.

There are several interesting comments from my own lot on our epedagogy wiki space attesting to their consternation. One threatened to commit homicide and another swore she would burst into tears if anyone had the guts to change their page entries. I'm sure they didn't mean it.... but I am two students down on my class register this week...

Anyway, whilst reading Will Richardson's book 'Blogs, Wikis and Podcasts' I came across the
Wiki Prayer (p 74) today and thought I would share it with you...

Please grant me the serenity
To accept the pages I cannot edit,
The courage to edit the pages I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference...
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment