Wednesday 21 November 2012

Teaching artistry

I taught my first art lesson today. Ever. Passing colleagues were a little surprised to see me teaching in the art room, completely out of context. Normally I'm found teaching a session on educational theory or psychology, or information and communication technologies. Teaching an art lesson is therefore a little outside my comfort zone. And yet, earlier today, I found myself surrounded by students with easels, wielding pencils, as we conducted a drawing class.

The drawing session was a part of our BA degree in Education Studies, and the module we were teaching - 'Creativity in Education' - which encourages students to explore through embodied practice the theoretical and practical relationships between education and creativity.  Throughout the year we will be exploring creativity through a range of activities, including dance, photography, video, music, and art. During the module the students will be asked to keep a reflective blog or video diary. At the end of the module they will present their work as a creative portfolio, and the final session will see a public performance of their work. Many of the sessions will involve some aspect of learning by making, a powerful pedagogical method also known as constructionism.

I say the drawing session was outside my normal comfort zone, because it is quite a departure from my normal teaching topics. And yet those who know me will recall that when I was younger I studied fine art and graphic design for a couple of years at Hereford College of Art. I have never stopped being an artist. Whether painting a water colour landscape (my favourite medium) or making a new slideshow for a talk, I always try to portray my ideas creatively, in a manner that is pleasing to the eye. Although I have never given an art lesson before, it seemed fairly natural to me to do so now. With the students we explored a range of drawing activities, from conventional still life drawing, through to speed drawing, where the objects were constantly changing. Of particular interest to me, as always, was the conversation I had with the students as we were working. Many also admitted to being outside their comfort zones as they participated in the drawing exercises, because they professed no skill or expertise in art. Their willingness to engage spoke volumes, because ultimately, the session was not about learning how to draw, but learning an appreciation about how creativity can be applied to classroom layout, curriculum design and teaching. One aim of the module is to encourage students to think creatively about education, using their imagination, and exploring a variety of perspectives on how creativity can be unleashed in the current school systems.

Most of us would acknowledge that teaching is an art as well as a science. There is a certain artistry that educators need to acquire and practice if they want success in the classroom. Teaching is a performance, and those who are creative are constantly able to reinvent lessons, resources and spaces. Creative teachers tend not to worry too much about barriers or constraints, but are constantly seeking solutions and new ways to do things, to improve and enhance learning. Too often, teachers and learners are constrained by their environment, time, school culture, legislation or simply not having access to appropriate resources. Probably the worst barrier to good teaching and learning though, turns out to be lack of imagination.

"Anything can make you look, but only art can make you see."

Image source

Creative Commons License
Teaching artistry  by Steve Wheeler is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment