Thursday 26 May 2011

Ten years of arguments

I know this is a strange title for a blog post, but let me explain: This week, in the north of the Czech Republic, I have just completed my tenth spell of teaching at the Technical University of Liberec. Each year, around half-term time in May, I am invited to teach a week of 'Argumentation and Rhetoric' to a group of international students of the University Neisse. What is argumentation and rhetoric? Well, as a psychologist, I interpret it as the study of interpersonal communication skills. To that end, when I was first invited to teach at University Neisse in 2002, I put together a 5 day programme which explored a number of social psychological theories around interpersonal skills, which involved lectures, demonstrations, discussion and games that focused on debating, argument and critical dialogue. Over the years I have included several social media elements including the use of blogs and wikis, when these were still seen as new in the education world.

Neisse is an international degree programme funded by the European Union through its Erasmus programme. Since 2002 almost 200 students have been through the classes, including many from Germany, the Czech Republic and Poland, as well as a small number of students from Vietnam, Nigeria, China and, in my current group - from Egypt. One of my students today came up to me and asked me why I keep coming back to teach at Neisse every year. I thought for a few seconds and then replied that I enjoyed the challenge of teaching multi-ethnic groups of students. It's the only chance I get each year to teach students from so many different countries, all together in one classroom. The mix is a dynamic one, full of possibilities, and you never know what is going to emerge during the discussion sessions. Today we enjoyed a particularly animated debate on genetic engineering where some of the group became quite vocal about whether they should, or could argue from a perspective they didn't actually agree with. Others in the group responded that if one wasn't familiar with the other person's perspective, then it was difficult to argue effectively. And this is what Neisse is really all about - in their first year of study, the group lives together in Liberec, Czech Republic. In their second year, they move to the University of Wroclaw, in Poland. They complete their third year of study at the University of Görlitz, in Germany. During this time, they learn not only their own academic subject of information and communication management, but also take on board all the customs, social nuances and languages of the other nations, and of course they learn very good technical and conversational English in the process.

In conversation today with one of the leading lights of Neisse, Professor Jaroslav Vild, I asked what was the main aim of the Neisse programme. He told me that central Europe has had a history of ethnic tensions and problems in the past, including wars of course. University Neisse is a small part of the movement focused on bringing young people together from diverse backgrounds, to mould them into a force for better international understanding. I have completed 10 years teaching at University Neisse this week. If they invite me back, I won't say no.

Image source by Sludgegulper

Creative Commons Licence
Ten years of arguments by Steve Wheeler is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment