Monday 31 May 2010

That'll teach him

My school career was patchy to say the least. My father was a Warrant Officer in the Royal Air Force, and I spent most of my formative years switching schools on a regular basis, which played havoc with my education. I went to 10 schools in total, starting in Gibraltar at St George's Primary School and finishing in Holland at the AFCENT International School. My school years were difficult for one important reason. There was no National Curriculum, which meant that every school taught essentially what they considered to be most important. Because I switched schools every year or so, I learnt some content 2 or 3 times, and I missed some content completely. Turns out that I learnt more about process than product during those turbulent years.

On reflection, I can now see exactly how teachers can either make or break a child's education. The old maxim 'Doctors save lives, teachers make lives' is true. I recall one teacher in particular who took me on and inspired me to learn new things. Mr Handel was one of the two primary teachers at Cherhill Primary School in Wiltshire, who stand out in my memory. He spent time with me helping me in the areas I was struggling with, and he really went the extra mile, to make sure I achieved to my full potential. The other teacher in the same school was a polar opposite. I once asked her a question about English grammar. She looked at me with contempt, told me I had asked a 'stupid question' and then made a big joke out of it. The whole class laughed at me, and I went bright red with embarrassment. I was only 8 years old, but I can still recall how it felt. It taught me a lesson. I never asked another question in class throughout the whole of my school life. I will refrain from naming that teacher.

Many teachers are excellent at what they do, and really care about the children in their care. I try to do the same, aspiring to be like Mr Handel, taking time to give my students individual attention if they are struggling in some difficult area. I try to instill some of these values in my student teachers too. But there are a very few teachers who can stifle creativity and discourage individualism - exactly the traits we need to draw out from our learners so that they can develop the skills to transfer into lifelong learning. Teachers can make all the difference, but sometimes it is time and pressure that militate against this. I look at my own children now as they negotiate their way through school and into work, and I sometimes cringe at some of the things they come home and tell me about their school experiences. It's as tough for them as it was for me. But school isn't the be all and end all and nothing is graven in stone.

My travelling took it's toll on my formative years, and I left school with few qualifications. I made a lot of friends, and had to keep making new ones, so I became very adept at interpersonal skills, but weak on content. All of my academic achievements have been made off my own bat, and all of them after the age of 30. The week I left school for the last time, my form tutor met with my parents. 'Steve is a great lad, and is very sociable' he told them, 'but I'm afraid he will never be an academic'.

Image source
Creative Commons License
That'll teach him by Steve Wheeler is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-Share Alike 3.0 International License.
Based on a work at steve-wheeler.blogspot.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment