Thursday 17 September 2009

Do you follow?

As you may be aware, I have been playing around with TweepML recently, creating groups of Twitter users that people can follow with one click. It's a nice little tool, with one or two bugs, but generally easy to use and people, it seems find it very useful. Those whom I have included in the lists (below) are flattered that I have included them (just as I feel honoured if someone has included me in a recommended list), and judging by the number of follows generated in just 3 days (almost 4000) follower numbers are rising. I chose the people listed in my groups because I consider each of them is contributing something significant to their own community of interest, they are all very knowledgeable and all are willing to discuss and share their ideas with the wider community.

Some have raised objections to these lists. One argument is that communities of practice should be allowed to grow organically, as each individual becomes more engaged. My response is that many of the participants of the Twitter workshops I am doing at present are newbies to Twitter and one of the questions frequently asked is: 'How do I know who to follow?' Well here is a kick start to the process. Another objection is that such lists smack of elitism. Who has the right to decide who should be included and who is excluded from a list? My response is: just see these lists for what they are. They are personal recommendations from the people who created them. If you don't respect or trust the list creator, don't follow the recommended people. Or make your own list. If on the other hand, you have respect for the list creator, then it is well worth a punt to click on the follow button and then prepare for some interesting conversations. If it all goes pear-shaped, you can always unfollow.

My TweepML Lists:

Learning Technology Professionals (academics and learning technologists)
Teachers using Technology (these are primary and seconday educators)
Learning theorists and thought leaders (people who have significant impact in e-learning)

Image source

No comments:

Post a Comment