Monday 27 July 2009

Scratching the itch

Now the holiday season (for U.S. readers, try 'vacation') is upon us, it is apposite that danah boyd should blog a post (post a blog?) on how many of us seem to have an inbuilt need to obsessively record and share each and every one of our interesting daily experiences. I find myself doing this on occasions, seeing something unusual or eyecatching, whipping out my iPhone (yes I know it sounds bad) and capturing the image so I can upload it to Flickr and share it with anyone who has a few minutes to go oooh, ahhh, or wtf...?

Well, I'm just about to lunge headlong into an internet-free zone for a while, as is my wont around this time of the year. And I know I am going to feel the urge to blog or tweet or do something digital while I'm away, and I know I will curse the fact that where I'm staying there isn't a snowball's chance in Hell that I will be able to scratch where it itches. But then, isn't that the idea of a holiday? A break from the run of the mill experience that instant access to rich communication media has now become to all of us....? Hmmmm. I'm still taking my iPhone with me though. Have a nice holiday everyone .... try to relax, and see you in the autumn (er ... 'Fall')!

Image source

No comments:

Post a Comment